Sunday 3 July 2016

Racing the weather


Saturday 2nd July

The forecast is for thunderstorms at noon but today is the day we need to get at least some of the bottom painted so the race is on.

It's a slow start: we are at Pete and Sarah's beach chalet at Wrabness overnight and can't resist the temptation to stay on in the morning for big cooked breakfast. So by the time I drop Howard at the farm to continue working on the lorry and get myself home, into overalls and gather together the anti-foul, rollers, masking tape etc it is well after 11am before I start work.

First stage is to paint all the bits that couldn't easily be painted once she's on the lorry if necessary - so what is showing of the plate, the underneath where I can get to it and the centre section under the curve of the bilge where she'll be chocked up. 
Managed this by 12.15 - no rain yet.

Antifoul on the bits I won't be able to paint once on the lorry


Now the pressure is off I can pause, stand up, and mask round the water line. No sooner have I done this and started painting again when I feel a few drops of rain - aargh!
So I race round the waterline to make use of the masking so at least if stopped by rain I won't have to mask up again. I hardly notice in my haste that the rain doesn't really get going. In fact after those few drops the sun comes out again and I am able to finish the job.






 Now where was I up to on those skirting boards at home....?

No comments:

Post a Comment